Website Accessibility Policy
Orchard Information Systems Limited committed to ensuring that its website is accessible to everyone. People access the web in many different ways and Orchard promotes inclusion for all, regardless of disability, capability or technology.
The intention of this policy is to provide clear accessibility principles that Orchard’s website is required to follow. For the purpose of this policy, the term “website” includes:
- the Orchard corporate website (www.orchard-systems.co.uk)
- all intranets
- all microsites produced after the implementation date of this policy.
In keeping with our policy of customers first, and our obligations under the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act), we will ensure that our website is accessible to people who have visual, hearing, motor or cognitive impairments.
Making our website accessible is a core aim of Orchard and we will try and ensure that it is usable with a broad range of operating systems, browsers, and specialist assistive technologies.
As a standard, we employ all the following methods to ensure our site is accessible to as many people as possible:
- All pictures have an alternative text description
- Our stylesheets allow for text resizing using the View – Text Size option in the browser toolbar.
- We are committed to Plain English in all our written content
- Our site has been designed without the use of tables except where we need to represent normally tabulated content i.e timetables
- The website can be navigated without the use of a mouse
- A non-serif font is used for easier readability
- We do not use all-capitals for emphasis
- We use a hierarchy of heading markups i.e an <h1> tag for main headings, <h2> for secondary headings etc which makes it easier for screen readers to work out the stucture of a page
- Our site can be viewed in a logical order when all styling is turned off
For further information about the Orchard website accessibility policy, contact:
Orchard Information Systems
Newcastle upon Tyne
"I have always been very impressed with Orchard's commitment. They have a strong, effective User Group to which they give fantastic support. Their staff are committed and knowledgeable but with a sense of humour."
Head of Customer Services,
East Midlands Housing Association